IMPRINTS: User-friendly Airport Identity and Security
Literature view and desk research has been done. For example, the information about Airport Security System, passengers’ boarding process, other self-service system. Lots of the data is from United Stated Patent, the information found from UK is not so much, Therefore, how much difference of the airport system between the UK and the USA I is not sure. Another problem is that, too much information has been found, I felt a little bit lost because I was exposed to various information suddenly. Maybe I need to go back to the original point to make sure the project is in the right way. In the next stage, field research and interview with stakeholder should be done. Because last stage of the research is almost theory, the real situation should be considered.
Tutorial with Dr Sandra Wilson was on 08/03/2012. The part below is some suggestions from Dr Sandra:
1, The literature view has been done so far, is more focus on the technology and process of the system, I think the literature you are doing focus on the process and the experience might be helpful, so if you see the things in different stage in the process, less technology and more experience that the travellers go through, It might help. or even document your own experience.
2, Try to plan a field research about Dundee airport. Contact the airport of Dundee, you could offer them some options, one might be just simply interview people before they go through the security, maybe just café area, there is no real security risk there, or you could observe the security measure themselves, or interview the staff , Prepare first( questions, questionnaires ), because they might have a really good view for the system and people’s experience, such as how they feel when they go through it themselves, it is very unusual for the staff to be asked what is their view , what would they suggest to improve the process and the experience. And also think about the methods, such as questionnaire, interview, observation and so on.
3, Keep bringing the project back to the original question during the process, to make sure it is on the right way.
4, Passport is an example of a token based identity management system (as opposed to a paper based system). what you might want to explore the memory based and body based technology. Or you can ask people to talk through what kind of technology they would like to wear and there experience to the technology.
In the next stage of the project,
- Get deeper knowledge of the process of the system, separate it into several part, it might be easier and organized for me to get ideas from the interview.
- Prepare the questions I would like to ask for the interview, or maybe some simple questionnaire. Contact with the Dundee Airport, to arrange a field research if possible.
- Gather more insights from people. Talk with people, and be neutral myself. For example, how people feel about the technology applied in the security and identity system.
- Field Research. Observation, observe passengers go through the system, and also the how the staff and the technology works. If possible, interview the staff and police in the airport.
- Update my own process in the meantime, bring along the information I get to the whole project.